MAPUTO, Mozambique, 4 April 2011 - At a private ceremony hosted by Ambassador Dang Giang of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, UNICEF Mozambique Representative Jesper Morch was awarded the honorary Medal of Friendship, Vietnam's highest recognition of a foreigner by the President of the Socialist Republic.
Mr. Morch served as UNICEF's Representative in Vietnam from 2005 to 2010. He is awarded the Medal of Friendship 'for his great contribution to building, strengthening and developing the friendship between Vietnam and UN institutions as well as with many countries in the world', noted the ceremony presentation by the Embassy. Ambassador Dang Giang's speech on the occasion noted with appreciation Mr. Morch's work for Vietnam's children, particularly his focus on children with disabilities, as well as his leadership role in advancing the One UN Initiative in the country.
- UN joint programme supports pro-poor, environmentally sustainable “green” handicrafts
- FACTS for World No Tobacco Day, 2011
- Special events organized in Ha Noi on World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
- UN Independent Expert on Extreme Poverty submits findings of mission to Viet Nam
- UN co-ordinator wins award for help to women
- As ’Mr. Clean,’ Vietnamese actor Xuan Bac teaches children about better hygiene